Dams, Canals Chubu Area
|Purpose||AW *See more -> the functions of the dam|
|Location||Shinshiro City, Aichi Pref. *See more|
|River||Ure River, Toyo River System|
|Type||Concrete gravity dam|
|Details||Oshima Dam is operated by remote monitoring and control system. Flood water is discharged from the overflow spillway.
See more The Brochure [1.7MB]
- Toyohashi City, Aichi Pref.
- Phone No.
*Toyogawa Canal Management and Construction Office
Approx.10 min. by walking from Higashi-Haccho-Dentei sta. of Toyohashi Railroad Azumada Line (Tram)
- Toyokawa Inari (Temple)
- This temple is quite famous among all the business persons, because of the alleged effect of this Inari temple for buiness prosperity and growth.Especially during the new year holidays awful lots of worhippers come to this temple as one of the three most well-known Inari in Japan.
- Mt. Horai and Horaiji Temple
- Located in the west of Oshima Dam and other facilities, Mt. Hirai and Horaiji Temple are located. The temple has the long history since its foundation in the 700s and the main entrance trail to the temple consists of 1425steps of stones and there is the tallest Japanese cedar tree of 60m (800 years Old) standing on the trail. Aichi Prefecture's simbol bird of Japanese scops owl is said to be living in the forest of this mountain, so the entire mountain forest is now designated as natural scenic beauty and national monument as well. If you are wonderinga about it, you should come and confirm its healing effect.
- Tahara City "Densho Giku"
- Densho Giku, literally stanslated as "Electrically lit Chrysanthemum" Chrysanthemum flowers are in full bloom in November. As there are many varieties of different shape and color developed,
people love to place the flowers on display at home and some people enjoy flower arrangement with them.
There are also many Chrysanthemum Exhibits held at various places across Japan, including the displays of chrysanthemum dolls
resembling some historical images of SAMURAIs and PRINCESSES, covered with different colors of chrysanthemum floweres.
But toward Japanese new year's festive season of late December, the crysanthemum demand increases though its season under normal condition is over. To make late blooming artificially for a month or so, crysanthemum growers light the glass-covered green house where they are grown all night to have the flowers feel it is still early to bloom.
This greenhouse lighting at night is showing a specutacular view of the night sceane of Tahara Town.
- Nagashino Kassen Nobori Festival (Nagashino's Battle Banner Festival) [5 May]
- Nagashino's battle is quite well known as a large-scale battle between over ten thousands of the western group of Lord Oda and Lord Tokugawa and over 50 thousand of eastern group of Lord Takeda. This triggered the huge war for the unification of the Japanese feudal territories. And this battle ground happened to fall in Shinshiro City. Shinshiro Citizens wanted to console the souls of the dead worriers during that battle, they contributed to the donation of the banners which belonged to those dead and raised them for their comfort. Nowadays this soul comforting festival is held on 5 May every year and harquebus shooting performance and fighting spirit-stimulating drum beat performance are played by armored cloth performers.
- Toyokawa Citizen's Festival "Toyokawa Fireworks from hand-made tube" [End of August]
- Toyokawa Citizen's Festival dates back to 1988 when 45th anniversary of city establishment was celebrated. With Toyokawa Athletic Field Park as the main venue, citizens gather and celebrate the anniversary, including the dancing performance. The festival reaches the climax when tens of special fireworks tubes were ignited with gunpowder in the evening. As each bamboo tube covered with reinforcing surrounding materials is made by each individual performer, each tube has its unique density and shows somewhat different power output. But at night when groups of fireworks are ignited with slight intervals and then once all of them are lit, sparkling fire fascinates the viewers with astounding spectacles with bright fireworks power.
This performance lasts for three hours and a total of several hundreds of man-made tubes and about 2,000 fireworks are prepared each year.