Dams, Canals Northern Kyushu Area
|Facilities||Water intake facilities (Intake Works:1 spot, Pumping Station: 1 spot)
Canal facilities (Pipeline Length= 14.5km, Tunnel Length= approx. 10km)
Regulating pond facility (Bank height:60m, Effective storage capacity 3,900,000m³, pumping station:1 spot)
|Details||Fukuoka Canal serves max. 2.767m³/s of domestic water to 16 municipalities (9 cities and 7 towns) in Fukuoka metropolitan zone and Kiyama Town of Saga Prefecture after taking water at the intake in the reservoir area of Chikugo Barrage, which collects water from Egawa Dam, Terauchi Dam, Gosho Dam and Oyama Dam.|
- Kurume City, Fukuoka Pref.
- Phone No.
*Kyusyu Regional Office
Address:Kurume City, Fukuoka Pref.
Address:Kurume City, Fukuoka Pref.
Apprx.10 min. by walking from Miyanojin sta. of Nishi-Nippon Railroad Tenjin-Omuta Line
Apprx.10 min. from Kyushu Exptressway Kurume IC
- Shojiro Ishibashi Memorial Museum
- Located in Kurume City, north-easten city from the barrage, this museum was erected in memory of Shojiro Ishibashi, the founder of Bridgestone Corporation, manufacturer of tyres of different varieties and related products. The museum displays the history of the corporation and related items about Mr. Ishibashi and also some of his art collections.
Photo by "Shojiro Ishibashi Memorial Museum" HP
See more ->Shojiro Ishibashi Memorial Museum
- Koura Taisha Shrine
- This is No.1 shrine of Chikugo Region of Kyushu and has many designated important cultural properties such as the main shrine buiding and stone-built entrance gate to the shrine. This shrine is situated in the middle of the mountain and Minou Skyline road connected to the shrine will take you to the observation spot where you can enjoy the panoramic view of Chikugo River adn Chikugo Plain.
Photo by "Koura Taisha Shrine" HP
See more ->Kurume Bureau of Tourism and Internatioal Exchange
- Yoshinogari Historical Park (Ruins)
- A little west from the barrage, Yoshinogari Ruins are located. This area represents the typical Yayoi Period (4th Century B.C. to 5th Century A.D.) culture and in this park of over 100ha displays various excavated articles, including earthware and stoneware, restored houses and warehouses, and some restored tombs of Yayoi Period, too. It is a good place to get familialize yourself with the life of Yayoi Era through hands-on experience.
- Yanagawa City (Central area)
- Facing Ariake Sea on the south-western part of the city and two Class A rivers of Chikugo River and Yabe River running, the central Yanagawa district is networked with moats. Before automobiles and trucks became the major means of transportation, the boat was the important means of transportation and that was why this city had a great advantages over other cities thanks to the network of moats and this city was called the city built on water. The boat cruise offers a pleasure in viewing the changing scenery of traditional style of houses, gardens and bridges along the moat by small boat.
Photo by "Yanagawa City Tourist Association" HP
See more ->Yanagawa City Tourist Association
- Chikugo Disaster Management Facility "Kurume-house"
- This facility, located at the merging point of Chikugo River and its tributary Koura Rive in Kurume City, was originally built as the facility to store the disaster management materials and to provide related information in 2003. But it has the function to serve the community as the water museum. With the display of disaster informaton for 1953 water hazard, you can learn thedister prevention and the river environment. Local fish spices are also on display.